Monday, June 15, 2009

Now, from the beginning.

Friday, May 29, 2009 - I flew overnight from Detroit into Frankfurt am Main, from where I hopped a plane to Bremen.
Saturday, May 30, 2009 - No problems through security or customs, and an uneventful flight. The Bremen airport is a very small airport, kind of like the Lansing airport, so I could wait at the exit where I knew Chris would have to walk through. It turns out, he wasn't on the flight he thought he would be on, so I carried on without him. Grabbing my over sized and overly heavy luggage, I went out to greet the line of Mercedes Benz taxis waiting to take me to my destination. After trying to tell the driver what street I was going to, I pointed to the written directions, which he interpreted with ease.
I was kind of surprised to hear a familiar song on the radio. I forget what the song was exactly, but it was just as common here as back in the states I guess. Many of the places I've been so far have had American music playing- the taxi, stores, radio, at work. I've known that American culture reaches around the world, but it's different to be somewhere else around the world, and have the same music playing in public places and such. I'm not sure if that's comforting or not.

Then I met Ute. She's a friendly woman in her early fifties who is renting a room of her house to me. I was kind of expecting this older lady who didn't speak much english. Not so. Anyways, she's fun to talk to, and it's been great living where I have so far.

That afternoon, Chris flew in, and Ute and I went to meet him at the airport. I learned the route that I would take to work as we walked to the airport. And I learned it real good. It takes about 1/2 hour to walk to work, but the first day I went it took me an hour. Good thing I left about 1/2 hour early.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 - Chris and I, after getting up in time to eat lunch, went in to Bremen on the tram. The Bremen soccer team, Werder, had won the day before, and there was a huge celebration as the team came back to Bremen on Sunday. There were great crowds of people drinking Beck's beer and wearing their green and white Werder colors. It was kind of interesting.

Monday, June 1, 2009 - A national holiday. So, Chris and I went for a run in the afternoon along some paved trails by our house. Somehow we found ourselves on a bigger loop than we planned, and ended up going about 8 miles. Kind of rough for a first run. There was a bit of walking involved.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - My first day of work. The morning commute took the scenic route, as mentioned before. After going through some of the usual paper signing stuff, I got to meet the people that are working in my area. It took some concentration just to hear what their names were, let alone remember them. I thought Roger was Hogar. I'm glad that it's all settled now.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 - Work again, this time fully realizing the tediousness of my current task after having to do it All day.
After work, naptime. Then I met up with some other interns to go to a bar. It was a good time to get to meet different people. And to realize that my German is nicht so gute. It didn't take me till wednesday to figure that out, but sometimes i just have additional reminders.

2 comments:

  1. Eric, it was great to hear about how your life is going in Germany!! I'm so glad we'll be able to follow your adventures on your blog. You can be sure I'll check it often and look forward to sharing some time with you in that way. Becks was Granddad's favorite beer while we lived in Germany!
    Love you,
    Grandmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, How wonderful to finally be able to see what you are doing and have an opportunity to communicate. I guess you still haven't opened your 21 Bday cards from your school email. Anyway, I am anxious to hear what your job is and details of the area your live.
    I have a former exchange student who lives in Bavaria who is about 25 and has just recently married. Max Gerber. He is awesome! Are you anywhere near the area? I am soooo geographically challenged.
    Post surgical problems have taken up so much time and energy I look fwd to the diversion of your blog.
    I love you Eric and wish you a wonderful summer.
    Aunt Jewel

    ReplyDelete