Monday, June 29, 2009

Berlin, Sat 27.6.2009 - Sun 28.6.2009

I woke up at 3:30am to the sound of an American hit from the 80s blaring on my alarm clock. I enjoyed the familiar song, but needed to get moving to start the day of traveling. Breakfast was a bowl of musli, an apple, and a beer. Not a bad way to start the day. I figured because I didn’t stay up all night for a Friday night party that I should have one to take a little part in the continuing morning festivities. I actually drank the beer while I was riding my bike to the train station – I know, it’s not good to ride a bike with one hand, but the traffic was light in the morning, so I managed.
I find the morning atmosphere to just be down right enjoyable. The streets are still, quiet, and lamp-lit, there’s no waiting at intersections, and the temperature is just cool enough. Maybe I will start getting up at 3:30 every morning.
I met up with the three French interns from Airbus (Aurelius, Ileana, and Valentin), who had not gone to bed that night, and caught the train to Berlin at 5:10am. As they were understandably fatigued they tried to find some sleep amidst the train quality seats. Myself, I decided to push onward through the book I was reading about Cicero; a book so generously lent to me by Aaron from back at school. I think their sleepiness must have rubbed of on me because I soon found myself trying to stay awake. Five hours later, we found ourselves at the Berlin Hauptbahnhof.
I'm not up to detailing everything, so I've listed our general movements, more for myself so that I can look back and remember and fill in some of the stories later.

We got some maps, and headed for the Pegasus Hostel where we could check in.
So, Hauptbahnhof -> Hostel -> Zoo Bahnhof -> Prussian palace and gardens (Ileana to the zoo) -> Walk along Ku’damm street -> Watch street performers -> beer -> Bus 100 to the end of the line -> Bus 100 the other way -> Victory Statue and Gay festival -> back to hostel to take showers -> small dinner by the hostel -> Brandenburg Tor -> Rathaus -> drink/ice-cream on Unter den Linden str. -> hostel for sleep.

Sunday: Checkout at 11am -> Starbuck’s by Brandenburg Tor -> another outside look at the Rathaus -> Bus M85 to a portion of the wall -> a walk through the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe -> back through Brandenburg Tor to catch the bus for the Berliner Dom -> walk through street vendors on the way to Dom -> walk through the Dom -> back to train station -> adventure home

2 comments:

  1. Great trip to Berlin! We'll look forward to more details! We miss you at our family get-together! (Brandon is trying to take your place and help your Dad!) Love you lots!
    Grandmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm Diane and I were in Berlin on Sunday. And we were at the Starbucks by the Brandenburger Tor at 11am. What the heck?? Haha glad you liked Berlin!!

    ReplyDelete