Monday, June 22, 2009

Iranian protest

I almost forgot (ok, until now) to mention one of the highlights of Hamburg. On Saturday, after the tour and on our way to check out one of the shopping centers, Chris and I ran into a very large procession of people protesting about the Iranian election. Some signs were in Persian, some in German, and others in English. With lots of green arm bands and other political symbols, the crowd marched through the main streets with chants and loudspeakers blaring. We had to just sit there for a few minutes and watch. We even considered joining with fists raised so that you could see us on TV, but then decided not to. I wasn’t really informed about what was going on in Iran, so after that I did some internet surfing to catch up on the news - seeing a protest up close does a lot to spike my interest in actually being informed.

1 comment:

  1. We saw something pretty similar in Greece. "The defamation of the prophet Muhammad is a serious internation crime", or something crazy like that. I guess it's just their thing.

    -Scott (Brotherfield)

    ReplyDelete