Thursday, July 16, 2009

Berlin, Fri 3.7.2009 - Sun 5.7.2009

-Berlin with Chris and Shola-

For those who don’t know, Chris is the guy that came here with me from school, and Shola is the guy that works down the hall from me at Airbus. Add me, and that makes three. And it was we three that went wee, wee, wee, all the way to Berlin. Ok, I’m finished.

Did I mention that it took me seven hours to get home from Berlin on the first trip? An extra hour was added due to the fact that the train at one of the stops didn’t take us all the way to the main train station. We had to walk to the nearest tram stop, transfer from the tram to a bus, transfer from the bus to the U-bahn, and then finally arrive at the main station where we could wait until the next train came. It was cheaper to take the slower trains, but seven hours?

When Chris, Shola, and I went, we used our rail passes, so it only took 3 and ½ hours. I’ll do a quick summary of the weekend at Berlin with Chris and Shola, and then move on to the most recent weekend travel spot, Amsterdam.

After doing the normal information gathering and hostel check-in, we headed out for the sights. We went to the Brandenburg Tor, which I had seen the previous weekend, but there are always new things to appreciate. This time the east side of the gate was blocked off for some fancy governmental occasion, while on the west side was the finish line and after party of a running race and a rollerblading race. There were booths set up all along the street going away from the Tor, most of them were food and information booths, but there was also a stage with some live music. The thing that set the whole situation apart as a German activity was the refreshment after the race. What else would they serve, but beer? Ok, so it was alcohol free beer, but still it was beer. After the finish line there were long tables crowded with masses of sweaty people edging up to grab their alcohol free beer. It warms my heart just to think of it. Later that evening, when Chris and I were headed to the Reichstag for a look around the inside, we passed the tables, and upon seeing empty lines yet still beer left on the table we had no other choice but to sample the local brew. It quenched the thirst quite nicely.

Between our hostel and the nearest tram stop there was this donner place (where you can grab a quick bite of gyro style sandwiches or half a chicken) that we would frequent as we went to and from the hostel. It became our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food was good, but the guy behind the counter had a frown that would make a child cry. I almost cried as I looked at him. I think he was sad because he was frustrated with his lot in life. Maybe one day he will cast of his lot and chase his dreams. Anyways, the price was right, so we stopped by there often. It was Saturday morning when we stopped there and I got the unforgettable container of milk. The container was plastic and looked like a yogurt container. I think it had some German words that even resembled the word yogurt, but inside was like nothing I had ever tasted. The flavor, if you could call it that, was like milk flavored pickle brine. I took a sip and almost spewed. I really don’t know what kind of creature would choose to digest such a concoction.

That afternoon we went through the Jewish Museum. Of course, a large portion covered the holocaust- a kind of big deal in the Jew’s history in Germany, or anywhere for that matter. However, it was nice to see so much more there. I got to learn about many important Jewish figures, from philosophers and rabbis to Levi Strauss, who founded the present day jean company. It was a bit overwhelming to try to take in all that was there, but I think over four hours in any museum tests the limits of a person’s endurance.
There was one room concerning the holocaust that was especially emotionally provocative. It was a long narrow room with a tall ceiling, and the only light came from a window at the top. Along the floor were 10,000 metal discs cut in the shape of different faces. The floor was covered from three to five faces deep, and as you walked across it the metal clanged loudly against your presence. It wouldn’t be fitting to describe the room as “neat,” but it was such a room that I appreciated the experience of walking across.

That night we three stooges went down to the courtyard in the middle of the building to enjoy the fresh night air and talk philosophy. We conversed at length, but as with most discussions of that type, the end of the matter still lies somewhere up ahead in the distance. Some of the conversation was a continuation of what we started talking about over breakfast, and, I must confess, I was a little frustrated that both Chris and Shola did not see how my view was obviously the right way to think about things. No matter, they will come around soon enough.
And who the hell said it was good to have an open mind anyway?

Ok, so this wasn’t quite the quick summary I thought it would be, and I’m not writing about Amsterdam this time, so next time will have to suffice.

3 comments:

  1. you better be taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read to Granddad your adventures in Berlin and he just laughed and laughed at your wit, as he sat here in his new Tilley hat. He liked your Dad's hat and the two of them looked it up online and it came today - he hasn't taken it off since it arrived. We're really enjoying hearing about your travels, but what about work? Can you tell us what you do? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric this is really entertaining to read! I hate to break it to you but it isn't only in Germany that people drink beer after they race (although in this country you do have to bring your racing card and ID up to the counter because you have to be 21 to consume...) Thanks for the stories. I'm excited to hear about Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete